Hot Tapping 101: The Basics
Hot tapping is the method of taking a new connection from an existing piping or pressure vessel while the section of pipe or vessel continues to operate. The whole operation is completed while the line is “live” or in its normal operating conditions. Our unique range of specialist hot tapping equipment enables a connection to be made to a piping system or a vessel without shutdown or interruption to production. Hot taps can be performed safely on most types of pipes, ranging from carbon steel to GRE. They can be carried out on systems containing oil, gas, fuel, steam, water, and many other line mediums with pressures up to 1480 psig @ 100 Deg F on normal cases. However, we are equipped to undertake jobs where the medium has a high temperature of up to 700 Deg F.
Advantages of Hot tapping equipment
- No shutdown is required and therefore no loss of production
- No loss of product within a pipe – No emission to the environment
- Reduced cost of planning of manpower and resources
- Coupled with a line stop operation, valves can be repaired/ inserted, or damaged /corroded pipe or fittings can be replaced or long stretches of pipelines can be re-routed.
Hot tapping process consists of:
- Hot tap fitting with the required branch & flange size.
- Ball or Gate Valve
- Hot tap machine with Cutter & Adaptor